Monday, May 31, 2010

I Love Seeds!

There is something about watching a little sprout emerge from a newly planted seed that I just find fascinating. Especially with our long winters here in Calgary, it is so much fun to have a little bit of green.

I thought that I would share some of the plants I started form seed this year. I was very conscious of space since I start most of them on top of the refrigerator and them let them grow on my window ledge. This year I started a few perennials and my favorite annuals. The shade tolerant ones seem to do better, without getting leggy, probably because I don't have any grow lights. One year, I will treat myself and set up a whole seed starting area in the basement! i usually start seeds in those little jiffy pellets. they are easiest for me and the kids can even help if they want. They are fascinated to watch them expand when you first add the water.

bergenia - good germination - may take a while to get big enough so I won't think they are weeds in the garden
lupin - seeds rescued from Vancouver - good germination - hopefully they don't mind Calgary
sedum - mixed seed pack - interesting varieties - good germination - I don't think I'll do a mixed package again, I just don't like knowing exactly what varieties I have growing
wisteria - got this seed from a friends wedding - looks great - would it survive next winter? maybe I'll put it in a pot to bring inside in the fall???










impatiens - Xtreme white - excellent germination - one of my favorites to start from seed
lobelia - Riviera Marine - excellent germination - another favorite
verbena bonariensis - poor germination - hopefully the few that germinated look ok - I've been obsessed with this since seeing it in a neighbour's garden last year
gomphrena - QIS purple - again became obsessed with growing this next to sunflowers for an awesome yellow/purple combination in the garden
nicotiana - only the lonely - super tall white nicotiana - again became obsessed with this plant after seeing it at a neighbour's - medium germination - I hope that they look as good in my garden as the neighbour's
marigold - Tagetes Lemon Gem - grew these last year and loved them! - excellent germination, beautiful scent and lovely simple yellow flowers
coleus - sonatina gold - lime green foliage - hopefully I don't kill them this year
delphinium - belladonna mix - good germination - hoping for gorgeous flowers



carrots, beets, peas and nasturtium seeded in the raised garden beds

corn, squash, scarlet runner beans to be seeded soon (when the soil warms up)

No comments: